Win Hill

Win Hill
MY GOAL: To be strong enough to walk The White Peak Way in August 2016 , to prove to myself that life is better without anorexia and to raise awareness of this illness

Tuesday 23 February 2016

A time to rest...

This week, I returned from a visit to my parents that was incredibly restorative, yet still challenging at times. As I stated in my previous post, I set myself the challenge of not working out at all during my stay and I'm amazed that I actually managed to achieve it, except for one, gentle, untimed run - felt more like a stroll round, compared with the hills of Sheffield! I managed to snatch a bit of much-needed rest and we did some wonderfully unexciting, wonderfully normal things together. An amble along the canal to a cafĂ©. A trip to the cinema to see "Dad's Army". Even a meal at Nandos - which I enjoyed immensely, despite overdoing it on the spicy sauces and giving my weak stomach grief that night...

But it was sad how often the conversation turned to "my problem". My parents have been in this situation too many times before - watching me talk defiantly about "when I go back to do my PhD" but not seeing me make any real progress towards that aim. My Dad especially has given up on me. It fills me with shame that they cannot trust my word anymore. If your solemn promises have no integrity to them, I feel I can't be much of a person. If I can't even give them my word....what can I give them to appease their worries at this point in time?

So far, they have been right to doubt me. I was prepared to see my weight go up after my  "holiday of excessive laziness" but it didn't budge. So I still have over a stone to put on. Was I unconsciously compensating for the lack of activity by eating a little less, trimming down the higher-calorie snacks and treats? Or did my metabolism just ride the change in activity?

It's time to get moving. I have 98 days left to reach the target weight.

Fortunately, just before I went away, one of the instructors at the gym got in touch to say that she had been reading my blog and just happened to be a qualified dietician. I seized on her offer to give my diet an MOT and have been pouring over her advice ever since. Although I don't think I can implement all her recommendations all at once, I have come up with a plan to start:

1. Reintroduce TWO complete rest days a week (a rest day does NOT involve "lifting a few weights")
2. Increase breakfast by ~ 200 calories.
3. Have a milky recovery drink on the days I work out ~ 200 kcal. I tried my first home-made version today: coconut milk with a sachet of hot chocolate and a dollop of peanut butter dissolved in it...First thought: Oh WOW this tastes like REAL food! Second thought: Maybe I should use smooth, not crunchy, peanut butter next time...
4. Weigh myself each week and REVIEW THE PLAN AS NEEDED

Bunny goes for the vegetarian menu at Nandos

Seeing my parents again has reminded me that I am not just doing this for me. I have every reason to change and none to stay like this. Whilst at home, I read a fascinating article about the Japanese adventurer Yuichiro Miura, who climbed Everest aged 80 after enduring five heart operations. I think it is fitting to end this post with a few of his words:

"You need a target - however big or small - and to build your health and fitness towards it. It is not necessary to climb a mountain. It can be anything. I climbed Mount Everest three times and each time experienced a health problem for elderly people. But I could cure them because I had a goal. That gave me motivation to fight and beat my illnesses and injuries."

From The Telegraph Magazine, Saturday 2nd January 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment