Win Hill

Win Hill
MY GOAL: To be strong enough to walk The White Peak Way in August 2016 , to prove to myself that life is better without anorexia and to raise awareness of this illness

Monday 30 May 2016

Best foot forward....

It's challenge time! This week I am heading off to the Lake District with the aim of covering 50 miles and 24 mountains in four days. Along the way, I will be staying at the YHAs at Langdale, Helvellyn, Keswick and Borrowdale, and also with my lovely extended family in Windermere. My route is based on a walk featured in the YHA's magazine, The Wanderer (see photo below).

It should give me a good indication of whether I have a chance of completing the 80-mile White Peak Way in August. But it will also push me out of my comfort zone in other ways. Will I be able to cope with going so long without any intensive sessions at the gym? Will I be able to stand up to the inevitable gales and freezing temperatures of exposed summits? And what about that dreaded subject - the food.

My route may feature oodles of Wainwrights, but it doesn't pass by many shops! It may be that I will have to eat foods which I normally avoid. I can only pack what I can carry so will have to be strategic and include some high-calorie options. Given that I am still a little off from my target, I have to be sure that, not only do I maintain weight, but I actually put some on as well. This may be difficult as I have no idea how many calories I will use. To me, walking just doesn't compare with blasting through an hour's spin or cardio HIIT session. But ask me after the first 20 miles and I may have changed my mind!

It would be quite an achievement though, if I could just arrive at the next hostel, after a glorious day on the fells, and happily choose something off the menu like a normal person. No worrying about rich sauces, no asking to go "potatoless", no hiding the pudding menu before I can see it and be "tempted". I know I used to be able to do this when I was a child...but it's been far, far too long.

Fingers crossed for good weather! I will let you know how I managed when I return - I'm off to the land of no WIFI!

No comments:

Post a Comment